I often struggle to document all of the detail I see with my eyes. I have a pretty good camera, but I can’t always get this amazing device to show the world what I’m looking at. Every once in a while I get lucky enough with some tricks my nephew taught me to get the focus just right. The trick is to focus the camera on a nearby object, then once it’s locked into focus, point the camera at it’s intended target. The method takes some time to master, but the payoff is pretty amazing.
The first photo was a zoomed in shot of these zuccihini plants. The little bumps on these seedling are it’s first attempts at growing flowers which will turn into edible zucchini. There are definetly too small to pick now, but I’d guess they will be the first of the season.
I tend to take a look at everything with as much detail as possible. A few weeks ago I was just starting to see the green leaves on this goji berry plant emerge. I was pretty amazed when I looked again over the weekend and there were now full leaves. The growth on this little guy truely made my day, as I was about to give up on them after a difficult summer last year.
Sometimes it helps to look at things from odd angles. Tomatoes can get a purple coloring to the bottoms of their leaves. This could be due to cool temps or over watering. Purple leaves aren’t terrible for a plant, and most will grow out of it, but it generally signals a phosphorus intake deficiency. I’m quite happy to note my leaves are as green as can be, and are doing very well this year.
In addition to planting seeds, I recently decided to eliminate a spare bedroom and combine it with my living room to make a much larger man cave. I started by carefully removing all the old seedling shelves, taking down the paneling, then removing the studs that formed the wall.
I then used a number of 2 x 4′s to build an archway with a two supports seperated by 2 x 3′s. I ran new electrical wires down through the hollow center, and installed new plugs at the base. The 2 x 4′s were then covered with the original paneling that I removed from the walls, then covered in some recycled trim. I used some special “Polyshades” stain from Home Depot to stain all of the boards a more uniform color.
I’m pretty proud of myself for working so hard on this archway even on days when I had little spare energy to work, but it was worth it, as all of this was accomplished with about $30 worth of materials !
In conclusion, it all reminds me of how my father used to tell me constantly “Open Your Eyes”. One day I did, and I haven’t stopped being impressed.