Since the last photo of the chicken coop, I’ve started nailing down 2 x 3′s for a sub floor. Above you can see the first four rows, along with a nice covering of snow. The beams below the 2 x 3′s still needed to be cut off in this photo.
If you look closely, you might spot my cat “boots”…
The sub-floor is now complete, and I’ve moved on to nailing down rough cut boards for the floor. Since this building is far enough away from the house for power tools to be a real hassle, I’ve been using a chain saw to cut boards. I’ve found it’s not an exact science, and you need at least a 1/4 inch room for error when cutting wood this way. It’s working well enough for now, although I think I’ll purchase a long extension cord for future use.
I’ve also been careful to place the boards about 1/8 of an inch apart to allow a bit of air up through the floor for ventilation. I’m hoping to finish up the floor in the evenings after work, and maybe this weekend I can start framing out the walls. I’d like to have the entire project complete by the end of the month, in time for incubating some colorful eggs.