I’ve been waiting for several months to experiment with fruit tree seeds, and the time is about right to thaw them out and give them a shot. The seeds have been stratifying in my freezer for several months, which simulates the cold winter conditions the pits would be exposed to in the wild. This process tricks the seed into thinking it has survived winter, and must now grow.
I used some tiny plastic cups to hold the potting soil and seeds. If the seeds are successful, I move them to large pots as needed. Each cup has multiple holes in the base for proper drainage, and I’ve soaked the potting soil to simulate spring ground conditions. Now it’s just a matter of time till I see which seeds (if any) will grow. I’ve planted a miss-matched collection of cherry, peach, nectarines, and even some nuts in an attempt to learn which will “grow true” and which will not. The “peach” pits should definitely offer some surprises, as I left out some critical information when storing the seeds, and I’m not even sure if they are peach pits.
While I missed the boat on labeling the peach pits, I was very diligent when it came to preserving the information about the grapes I’m cloning. So far, I’ve got seven plants from four different varieties showing top growth. These canes are a few weeks ahead of schedule, but a welcome sign of spring, and an escape from this brown toned rainy winter.
In about four weeks, I’ll be receiving over 100 fruit trees, which will need to be planted into soil in much the same way the grapes are. Next, I need to locate some room to start early celery, pepper and tomato seeds, as the seedling room will be full by after all of the trees are added to the collection.