I made the mistake of watching “This Old House” on Saturday morning, and I soon found myself with my tools in my hand ready to build a new cabinet in my bathroom. I started by surveying what wood I had available, and put together a pretty simple plan. I decided to build the shelves and outer frame with some discarded baseboard stored in the barn, and the doors would be constructed from recycled door jams. I reused all of the hardware from the old cabinet including the handles, hinges and magnetic latches. The whole project cost me some elbow grease, a paint brush, a few screws and some sand paper.
The width of the cabinet was 18 inches wide, so each door would be 9 inches. Since the wood I was using was only about 6 inches wide, I had to glue the pieces together. When I had both of the doors cut to size, I decided they looked pretty plain, so I cut grooves 3 inches from the top and bottom. I intended to paint the grooves with white paint, but when I hung the doors I had a different idea. I twisted two pieces of copper wire together, and then flattened them with a hammer. After applying some silver paint to the copper and handles, I attached them.
When it came time to attach the twists of copper, I hesitated a bit. I just spent hours staining these boards, and now I was going to put a nail through them !After attaching them, I was happy with the result, and I’m glad I took a chance on something new.
On a more gardening note, I’ve just submitted my second order of seeds, and when they arrive, I’ll only need to purchase a few herbs, and some Stevia seeds.